Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Story

We have a nightly ritual in our house. When the boys get home and dinner gets on the table, we sit down together and we eat and we talk.

The conversation is usually a check-in of sorts about everybody's day. It usually includes some things like this:
"I argued with my staff for a while, then I got in trouble for it, so I argued about being in trouble!"
or
"I beat another level in my Pokemon game, and now I'm an expert Pokemon trainer!"

But the conversation can also be sweet, insightful, empathetic, and clever.

Tonight, the new boy, J, told us a story about ceramics class. He described the process of creating a new piece: how he felt like his creation took on a life of its own, and his hands molded and painted and glazed it into something more than what was in his head at the beginning. How he felt like an artist, and was proud of his art.

We sat, we listened. It was really quite lovely.

2 comments:

  1. and in those sacred moments, our Heavenly Father uses our children to teach us, drawing us closer to Himself.

    Thank you for welcoming us to your dinner table, tonight, Jen. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it. i'm pretty sure we saw bits of God in his croquet game last week too...

    ReplyDelete